Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")

From: physiculus
Subject: Re: Problem splitting (nnimap-inbox "[Gmail]/Alle Nachrichten")
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2021 10:43:44 +0100

Lars-Johan Liman <info-gnus-english@cafax.se> writes:
Hihi, "besserwisser" this is a german word. Is it merged into the
english language?

> (At the risk of being a besserwisser ... apologies in advance.)
>
> Could your problem stem from what I have been told and believe to be
> true, that Gmail doesn't have the concept of "mailboxes" or "folders"?
>
> AFAIK, your mail in Gmail is just one big pool off messages, to which
> Gmail assigns tags. It will tag the messages that you consider to be in
> your folder "inbox" with the tag "inbox", and the ones in your folder
> "work" with the tag "work".
>
> When you access your mail using IMAP (which, as a protocol, relies on
> the concept of mail folders) and you ask to have your "work" folder
> listed, it will filter out the messages with the tag "work" and show
> them to you, but they are still in the big pool.
>
> So, to Gmail, a "folder" is just "a filtered view of the pool, according
> to some combination of tags".
>
> With this as background, is your problem possible to explain?
Thank you, this is explained enough for me.
BUT
my main problem is not solved with it.
As far as i understand, move a message in gnus into my local folders not
reachable in imap, have to delete this message in gmail All mail?
Am i right?
If not, perhaps i have to use another command, or another split rule, or
anything advanced?

Any idea?

Regards
Poul