nnimap-keepalive

From: Bob Newell
Subject: nnimap-keepalive
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2021 08:37:59 -1000

Aloha everyone,

I ran into a problem which apparently has history. I'm
spending a month at my son's house and his internet setup
doesn't do well with persistent IMAP connections. So if I
don't do anything with my IMAP connection for a little while,
and then try something, nnimap hangs (I can point out the
precise spot but I assume this is well known already).

Hence nnimap-keepalive. But that's hardwired to run every 15
minutes and check for lack of activity in the past 5
minutes. You can see the problem already, and in fact I found
an old discussion thread suggesting the keepalive time should
be configurable.

By hacking nnimap.el I changed it to a 1 minute run interval
and a 1 minute idle check, and now there is no problem with
hanging. However being largely ignorant of things gnu and
IMAP, I don't know if there is a dark side to this. Probably
so.

However I'd like to re-suggest configurability for the
keepalive timings (both the run interval and the inactivity
interval). IMAP over gnus is a real pain to use at my son's
house and I suspect elsewhere, when similar conditions
prevail.

Mahalo,

--
Bob Newell