js-shield

Manifest v3

From: Libor Polčák
Subject: Manifest v3
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2021 16:29:00 +0100

Hello  Giorgio,

I went through
https://developer.chrome.com/docs/extensions/mv3/intro/mv3-migration/ with the
intention of identifying required changes to support Manifest v3:

* Background script -> service workers
  * We will not have the possibility to keep any state, this will affect
Network Boundary Shield (NBS), we cannot prepare code in advance, and there
will be probably more breakage like updating badges when switching tabs.
  * We might need to revert 6b51fa8606c71b5057471e1a91fd7ffc410a019a which
improved the reliability of the wrappings being applied before page scripts
start executing.

* Web Request API -> Declarative Net Requests
  * Right now only NBS is affected (so far I think that NBS will need to be
removed from chromium-based browsers),
  * The blocking strategy based on heuristics that I explained on one of the
calls will be affected and most likely impossible to im=plement.

* getURL is beeing removed - several instances, mostly needed for NBS.

* we are ussing connect/sendMassage/onconnect/onMessage for communication
between popup and background, in NBS, and also in Firefox-only code dealing
with the bug 1267027.

Giorgio, I do not see any removal of document_start content scripts which is
the core functionality of the extension.

Did I miss something?

Libor