koha-devel

[Koha-devel] Re: [important] copyrightdate is not loaded into biblio tab

From: Stephen Hedges
Subject: [Koha-devel] Re: [important] copyrightdate is not loaded into biblio table
Date: Mon Jul 7 15:15:02 2003

Hi, Paul -

You asked for opinions about the copyrightdate:

> So, we have 2 solutions (both being easy to code)
> :
> * modify the DB structure to have a char, and
> copyrightdate would be :
> "c1968, reedited 1985, something else 1995" in my
> sample. (con : Maybe a
> little too many info for OPAC ?)
> * modify the import tool to extract the 1st
> "date" in the string (mean,
> the 1st time where 4 digits are found) : "1968"
> in my sample. (con :
> risk to choose a date that is not really a
> copyrightdate)
>
> Which solution do readers of this list prefer ?

My first reaction is that there's no such thing as too much information, even
in an OPAC, which would indicate that your first solution is the best.
However, what about searching?  For example, if I want to find books about
space stations published since 1993, can I do that if the copyrightdate column
contains "c1993" or "reedited 1993?"

Stephen