koha-devel

Re: [Koha-devel] Re: [important] copyrightdate is not loaded into biblio

From: paul POULAIN
Subject: Re: [Koha-devel] Re: [important] copyrightdate is not loaded into biblio table
Date: Tue Jul 8 02:56:27 2003

Stephen Hedges wrote:
Hi, Paul -

You asked for opinions about the copyrightdate:

So, we have 2 solutions (both being easy to code)
:
* modify the DB structure to have a char, and
copyrightdate would be :
"c1968, reedited 1985, something else 1995" in my
sample. (con : Maybe a
little too many info for OPAC ?)
* modify the import tool to extract the 1st
"date" in the string (mean,
the 1st time where 4 digits are found) : "1968"
in my sample. (con :
risk to choose a date that is not really a
copyrightdate)

Which solution do readers of this list prefer ?

My first reaction is that there's no such thing as too much information, even
in an OPAC, which would indicate that your first solution is the best.
However, what about searching?  For example, if I want to find books about
space stations published since 1993, can I do that if the copyrightdate column
contains "c1993" or "reedited 1993?"

Stephen

In the MARC part of the DB, the complete 260c field will be stored, of course. So it's possible for the librarian to find what you asked.
The numeric value is only for the koha-DB. This one is used in opac search (although it should be possible & easy to add MARC search in opac too), and in some lists.
For example, when you search for a book, the list shows title, author, copyrightdate & nb of items.

with this explanation, do you change your mind & agree with rosalie ?

OTHERS : please feel free to argue.
Even if it's a minor point from a functionnal point of view, it's an important one, as the decision, once taken, can't be rolled back easily.
--
Paul POULAIN