Re: DRM

From: Jonathan S. Shapiro
Subject: Re: DRM
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 09:20:42 -0500

On Sun, 2005-11-06 at 15:02 +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
>    With the rate of IP theft,
>
> You cannot steal something that is intangible.  I can steal your
> hammer, I cannot steal your code.

That is a matter of law, not opinion.

If you are saying: "the legal concepts of property and ownership should
not extend to things that are intangible", then we might have an
interesting debate on some other list. Following this discussion, we
might decide to collaborate in some form of activism.

But the plain fact is that today you are utterly wrong. As a matter of
law, things that are intangible absolutely *can* be stolen.