C++ (was: Broken dream of mine :( )

From: olafBuddenhagen
Subject: C++ (was: Broken dream of mine :( )
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2009 02:57:34 +0200

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 04:03:49PM +0200, Bas Wijnen wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 11:56:53AM +0530, arnuld uttre wrote:

> > Problem with C is its not very expressive, the point I like very
> > much about C is its size. You can do big things with such a small
> > language.
>
> You can, but you need to think of technical details all the time.
> That's what I meant when talking about the problem with C that you
> don't see while using it: you need to be constantly aware of lots of
> things, and that keeps your mind from the actual problems you're
> trying to solve.

Right, you can use languages with more abstraction to hide some
complexity. However, this also obscures the view on what is really
happening, and limits possibilities. So abstraction is always a
compromise.

The problem with C++ is that IMHO the abstractions are very poor: they
obscure a lot without really hiding much complexity...

-antrik-