Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?

From: Anthony Papillion
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Free software replacements to Dropbox?
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2011 21:04:33 -0500

On Fri, Sep 23, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Nikos Roussos <nikos@autoverse.net> wrote:

> Currently I'm aware of two solutions: Sparkleshare and Melissi. Sparkleshare
> depends on git, which is ok for regular files but problematic for
> music/videos/etc, and I have some privacy concerns because it uses a public
> irc server for notifications. Melissi is still on alpha version, but it uses
> the "right" technologies for this kind of thing.

Thanks Nikos! I'm probably going to check out Melissi since I really
don't like the idea of using a public IRC server, even if it's just
for notifications. Without looking, I'm assuming Melissi never moves
my data to the cloud? It all always stays on my home server?

> You can also check out Owncloud, but this is based on Webdav so your files
> are only in the cloud. You can't access them when you are offline. Which I
> find annoying.

I checked out OwnCloud a while back and it just wasn't for me. For
one, I don't ever want even a single byte of data to leave my server.
I want it to live there and stay there. But also the whole 'accessible
only in the cloud' thing is too annoying to deal with.

> PS. It would be nice to share with us the rest software stack you are
> currently using on your home server.

It's not a sophisticated setup at all. I'm always looking to refine it though:

- Ubuntu Linux
- Postfix mail
- Roundcube Webmail
- Homebrew document creation (HTML converted by script to ODF)

I'm looking at Zimbra right now as it looks like the open source
edition might just provide replacements for a few of these but we'll
see.

Any thoughts on how this might be improved?

Anthony