Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail servi

From: Robert Martinez
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Alternatives to closed, non-free webmail services?
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 00:30:43 +0200

On 26/07/12 23:41, al3xu5 / dotcommon wrote:
I hope people worldwide (including FSF guys) would understand and share this
point of view as soon as possible... otherwise free software (and freedom in
general) - which are already sick - will ultimately entirely die.

I think many people understand this, including the FSF and so do I.
I'm with you on most of your points, and where I'm not it isn't worth going into detail.
The important issue in my eyes is what you notice in your summary:

"... otherwise free software (and freedom in general) - <snip> will ultimately entirely die."

Free software is a subset of freedom, and if there is no freedom - free software has a problem. When the owners of any cables, sattelites or other infratructure of that magnitude would hurt freedom *everybody* would have a problem. Think about freedom of speech.

All I'm saying is that at one point it isn't a "free software" problem anymore - it starts to be about freedom in a broader sense. That makes is kind of inadequate to expect the FSF or the free software community to be the "responsible" moral authority on the matter.

I see it's all connected, but on the spectrum of relevancy to free software there are the 4 freedoms on one side and owning a sattelite on the other.

-Robert