Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux

From: Bob Ham
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Steam for Linux
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:58:36 +0000

On Sun, 2012-11-11 at 04:14 -0800, Joel Kahn wrote:

> For Libre Software to really move towards broad
> success, I think two elements are needed:
>
> 1. Some "killer application/environment"

The value of free software is in the freedom it brings, not necessarily
in the software itself.  Freedom always has, and always will be the
biggest "selling point" of free software.  If free software is also good
and popular software then that's great but it's a bonus on top of
freedom.

If you're trying to sell free software based on the software itself or
its market applicability, without focussing on freedom, you're missing
the point.  In fact, what you're doing is arguing for open source, not
free software.

It's worth noting that freedom is something everybody can understand,
even non-technical users.  Many non-technical users understand and
appreciate the value of free software when the concept is explained to
them.

We already have broad success.  All we "need" to do is carry on talking
about freedom.

--
Bob Ham <rah@settrans.net>

for (;;) { ++pancakes; }