Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu = Spyware

From: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu = Spyware
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 11:00:01 +0000

Excerpts from Will Rico's message of 2012-12-13 05:59:02 +0000:
> I'm sure most people on this list have read or heard about Richard
> Stallman's blog post from Friday entitled "Ubuntu Spyware: What to Do?"
> I wrote up my reaction/opinions on the blog for our local users group.
> I include six ideas for how Ubuntu (Canonical) can be profitable without
> spying.
>
> Feedback in the blog comments, on this list, or privately is welcomed.
>
> http://desktop-sig.blu.org/2012/12/6-ways-canonical-ubuntu-can-be.html
>
> Will
gosh! i trully love <3 libre software but at the same time yesterday setting up
a GNU/Linux for friend of mine after trying few distros ended up puttin...
UBUNTU :D

if someone uses Skype, Dropbox and other proprietary services other distros can
make it bit of a pain in the ass, and here arguments like don't use Skype,
Dropbox & co. don't come much helpful most of her friends who use MacOS and Win
won't stop using them... and we still DON'T HAVE libre alternatives offering
similar smooth experience!

just wanted to chime in that while sometimes we daemonize Ubuntu, without it
many people would never leave their comfy Win/MacOS behind and here i really
appreciate work of people from Canonical!

also rather than WASTING our energies on verbally beating up Ubuntu, let's
better mobilize ourselves to support developments of libre alternatives to
Skype, Dropbox + long list. ones that not only geeks living in our terminals
feel ok with using but people who got used to their candy eye interfaces also
feel happy with!

☮