Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu = Spyware

From: ☮ elf Pavlik ☮
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Ubuntu = Spyware
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 15:56:26 +0000

Excerpts from Fabian Rodriguez's message of 2012-12-13 13:52:23 +0000:
> Try Jistsi sometime (https://jitsi.org/index.php/Main/Download). Try
> (free / dirt-cheap) VoIP using SIP/AIX providers that use GNU/Linux too
> sometime (here: voip.ms or unlimitel.ca). Also try OwnCloud (or just a
> webdav share!).
i remember while ago testing Jitsi's VoIP and video together with one of
OwnCloud contributors... both over SIP and XMPP... i still couldn't honestly
recommend using it for someone who just want this damn thing to work...

can you point me to How-To explaining how to mimic Dropbox behaviour with
OwnCloud? just found this article:
http://darcynorman.net/2012/05/23/on-reclaiming-dropbox-with-owncloud/ which
ends with:

"Update: after a couple days of trying out ownCloud with the desktop syncing,
it’s just not reliable enough to use yet. syncs may fail. the client app may
silently crash. I lost some files somehow. It’s getting close, but not quite
ready for production use yet. Back to Dropbox for now…"

and I still hold my point:

**In not Ubuntu milions of people using it nowadays would never move away from
MacOS and Windows** !!!

which doesn't justify their latest decisions but at the same time I don't like
to loose bigger context just because of recent failures...

i hope we can get back on coding and polishing all the rough ages of libre
software and really try to avoid friendly fires ;)

☮