[libreplanet-discuss] Trying to make a DIY server

From: Nuno Castro
Subject: [libreplanet-discuss] Trying to make a DIY server
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2013 02:50:19 +0000

Good people,

I'm currently planning a big endeavour. I have a small, but dedicated, team of people who want to provide a decentralized, free and ethical web solution for the Portuguese section of the IWA[1]. Our plan is to create a server from scratch. I know of some projects, like Jerry, the DIY server[2] and specific distros for hosting, such as yunohost[3]. But I was wondering if anyone could give me tips or clues to get started and get going with this demanding project.

We are planning to make local and nation-wide innitiaves promoting free software, and if we could make this project happen, it would be a big boost to our confidence and it would also be a starting point to make workshops and lectures to share the knowledge we may acquire with the general population, providing the basis to make an ethical, decentralized network of independent service providers. Also, check out this amazing project (it's mostly in catalan, but there's an English translation going on)[4].

Stay cool, happy hacking,

Nuno Castro

[1]iwa-ait.org
[2]http://flavors.me/jerrydiy
[3]yunohost.org
[4]http://www.guifi.net/en/node/38392

P.S.: pessoal da ANSOL, desculpem estar a escrever em en_US, ainda que saiba que nao e problema.