Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org

From: Christopher M. Hobbs
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] RFC: GNU Developer Network on libreplanet.org
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2013 21:15:17 -0500

Greetings, all! I'm a new FSF member and while I'm not new to GNU/Linux or software development, I'm definitely new to the GNU way. I wanted to wait a while before replying to this, but I think I can offer some insight as someone who's only recently drank the tasty GNU kool-aide.

Many developers like myself will never find a GDN stuffed away in the LibrePlanet wiki. We may never learn about things like semver being a copy of a GNU versioning system as one poster mentioned. We may never learn about proper ways to document in the GNU style.

I really think this project needs its own site with a heavily styled wiki, much like the Mozilla Developer Network. These days, to reach developers (especially web developers), one needs to have a solid web presence and easy to access/edit documentation.

Most things GNU appeal to me philosophically, but much of what's out there looks cluttered and complex from the outside. A site to distil styleguides and common information would be highly useful and would allow people to start bringing up GNU standards in the workplace (as also was mentioned).

Useful stuff may include a quick HOWTO for applying the GPL to your code. How to write languages other than C to GNU standards/styles. How to produce GNU approved documentation other than info pages as some things like RESTful APIs may only have documentation tools for their languages. Where to find GNU resources to mirror resources in the rest of the world (Savannah, Gitorious, etc.).

Just some thoughts.
cmh