Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash

From: Adam Bolte
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] TurboCash
Date: Mon, 27 Jan 2014 10:55:06 +1100

On 27/01/14 05:38, David Loyall wrote:
> Adam, thank you.  Somehow I'd failed to notice that the package is in
> Debian's 'non-free' section when I googled up the package page.
> Pardon me!

No worries. I'm a fan of the DXX-Rebirth project too (sent the lead dev
a postcard a while back - he collects them), but the license Parallax
Software released the Descent code under was certainly a disappointment.

> Question: does do Debian packages in their "main" repository always
> meet the FSF guidelines?

AFAIK the DFSG are stricter than the FSF's guidelines (you see some GFDL
docs in non-free - such as gcc-4.7-doc for example), so I would assume
so for any stable release - starting with Wheezy at least.

I recall older versions of Debian (Squeeze maybe?) didn't extract
non-free blobs from the Linux kernel, and the kernel was still in main
AFAIR, so this hasn't always been true.

Cheers,
Adam