Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List

From: Andrés Muñiz Piniella
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] Updating the High Priority List
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 2016 10:12:01 +0000

El 6 de febrero de 2016 00:16:22 GMT+00:00, arthur_torrey@comcast.net escribió:
>The thing I've been grumbling about almost since I started using Free
>Software all to many years ago is the lack of a competent 3-D CAD
>package....  LibreCAD is OK for 2D, and it is being actively maintained
>and worked on, but it is ONLY a 2-D package, and a lot of people look
>at you like you are nuts for even considering using a 2-D package these
>days....
>
>I have looked at several open / free 3-D packages and have yet to find
>one I could actually do useful (as in can take the drawing to a machine
>and MAKE the part....)

http://www.freecadweb.org/ used by one of our makers to do a cnc machine. I
believe she uploaded it somewhere.

>If we have ANYTHING that compares to SolidWorks for capability, or the
>Autodesk Creative Suite, I have never heard about it...

I have used solidworks, it is bloated and not one user uses even 3% of it's
capabilities.

>There are a few 'Free Beer' trap programs like OnShape that offer
>'free' 'Software as a Service' 3-D capabilities but that is no less of
>a trap than proprietary software....

Agreed. Also, creates vendor lockin something not attractive for startups.

>As an 'inmate' at the Artisan's Asylum, one of the worlds largest
>hacker spaces, I get a lot of grief because I refuse to use the
>Solidworks / HSMworks / AutoDesk / MatLab / Simulink installs in our
>computer lab that are 'Free' for me to use as a member....

In our makerspace one of the smallest in the world I learnt and used openscad
to do an example plot with octave then created gcode
http://slic3r.org/ sent it to the 3D printer using
http://octoprint.org/ it is one of the openscad examples. (AGPL)

>What FLOSS 3D package can compete?  Solidworks / HSMWorks can do FEA
>analysis on the drawing, can animate the moving parts to check for
>proper operation and fit, and can then generate the G-code needed to
>make the part on most CNC machines...

Solidworks is bloated. In fs we have different programs that do different jobs.
Solidwords can't do parametric design without a spreadsheet which only works
with Microsoft products. It is overpriced, new versions of software create file
formats that by default can't be open with previous versions. Absolutely
horrible. I think by definition is the worst kind of proprietary software.
Worst is that it has a community of volunteers/fanboys around it with web pages
where they upload stuff with I don't know what licence. Horrible.

>As an ethical Free Software person, I have to generate HAND WRITTEN
>G-code (can take longer than drafting the part, and mistakes are
>potentially catastrophic that we don't even ALLOW hand written code on
>some of our machines....

http://slic3r.org/ never occurred to me to write it by hand, it is not on the
repos (might be submitted soon?) But code is GPL or agpl.

>Inkscape might be able to animate a drawing, as long as you don't care
>about dimensions...
>
>I'm told there are FEA tools, but not that take a drawing from anything
>else....

http://www.freecadweb.org/wiki/index.php?title=FEM_Module

That can be exported to FEA tools such as https://www.csc.fi/web/elmer

There is an agreed standard (probably not official) file format for FEA forget
what it is as it has been many years since I used it. But even proprietary
software uses it.

--
Richmond Makerlabs
Ham United Group