Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts

From: Daniel Pocock
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] helping friends kill their facebook accounts
Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2016 11:27:53 +0200

On 29/04/16 11:12, Alexander Berntsen wrote:
On 29/04/16 05:26, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> Once Facebook has your data, they have it
And even if you think they don't have it, they probably have the data
of everybody else you know... so they have it.

The best thing to do is just to get out. Explain to your friends why
you're getting out, and encourage them to get out too.

I'm not disputing that and I'm not suggesting that deleting/corrupting facebook data is a silver bullet

All I am suggesting is that it may frustrate casual attacks on the facebook service, for example, if a rogue employee takes a dump of the user list with the date of birth in it, then you can spoil his fun.  If somebody finds a hack to access photos that are in deleted accounts, maybe it won't work for photos that were explicitly deleted.  If somebody finds a way to re-enable a deleted account and use it in future, they may not be able to undelete the things already deleted.

Regards,

Daniel