Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ReactJS Patent License

From: Mike Gerwitz
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] ReactJS Patent License
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2016 23:48:24 -0400

On Sun, Jul 17, 2016 at 21:20:36 -0400, Mike Gerwitz wrote:
> I took a look:
>
>   https://github.com/facebook/react/blob/master/PATENTS
>
> This makes React non-free---it restricts freedoms 2 and 3.

I brought this up in a discussion with rms in another context.  He
considers this to be legitimate and approves of the strategy.

So, with that, React wouldn't be non-free.

My concerns over the issue still stand---I'd rather the entire license
be void in the event of a violation (like the GPL) vs. a specific
section of it (e.g. Apache License 2.0), which effectively puts the
distributor into a trap: they can continue to distribute it, but risk
legal repercussions for doing so, rather than not being able to
distribute it at all.

But software patents are a problem in general, and trying to balance
non-aggression/defensive and retaliation strategies to defeat patent
trolls isn't an easy concept.

Sorry for any confusion I caused!

--
Mike Gerwitz
Free Software Hacker+Activist | GNU Maintainer & Volunteer