Re: [libreplanet-discuss] An ethical compass for progress

From: C.W. Epema
Subject: Re: [libreplanet-discuss] An ethical compass for progress
Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2018 22:55:19 +0000

Hi Michael,

Thanks for sharing your insights about monitoring progress with the LibrePlanet
community. I cannot speak for all community members of course, but for me I can
say that I am happy with your contribution.

First I think it is important to discuss themes like you submitted to
LibrePlanet.
I believe it will help us better to find the position of Free software within
our societies.

Your claim in the article says "In every society there are essential pillars
that support the society".
I can follow your claim for positive societies (pillars will possibly be
supporting life, supporting peace and so on) . But what about the pillars of
society for more negative societies (=do not support life, do not support
peace)?

Is a moral or ethical compass still viable for "negative societies"? Would the
pillars for "negative societies" be opposed to "positive societies"?
Is it okay regarding your article to split societies in negative or positive?

Kind regards,

Kees

On Sun, 15 Jul 2018 18:26:40 +0200
Michael Rauch <l15t@miranet.ch> wrote:

> Dear dwellers of libreplanet
>
> After much thinking about what "progress" means to me, I decided to
> write an article [1] about it. I share it here, because I consider
> libreplanet to be fertile ground for thoughts concerning ethics.
>
> Any feedback on the article is highly appreciated.
>
> 1: http://www.miranet.ch/posts/2018/07/15/metamux_compass_en/
>
> Cheers,
> Michael

Groet,

Kees Epema
Rosa Spierweg 20
9408EV Assen
T: 06 100 66 878
M: keesepema@linuxmail.org

Protect your privacy and encrypt your messages.
Add my key to your keyring:
PGP key: https://osmigratie.nl/keesepema.asc