Re: youtube-dl DMCA takedown on GitHub is risk for all GNU/Linux distrib

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: youtube-dl DMCA takedown on GitHub is risk for all GNU/Linux distributions
Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2020 20:36:08 +0300

* Adonay Felipe Nogueira via libreplanet-discuss
<libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2020-11-04 20:14]:
> Em 03/11/2020 13:42, Jean Louis escreveu:
> > new centralizations. For example many instances want to block gab.com
> > instance.
>
> Gab.com was the place for all sorts of bad accounts and the
> administrator of that instance had no position against these accounts.
> This is why Gab.com itself was blocked.

I am not sure how is that justified. "Bad users" are subjective
term. If I do not want to read something, then I do not read, right?
That does not justify blocking whole instances.

We speak here of freedom of speech and decentralization. And admins of
Fediverse instances find it just to block large instance, I do
not. That is not freedom of speech.

Then I went into Gab.com and made my account myself to make first hand
experience. I have not found nothing special, it was friendly, and
many people from Gab.com communicate through Fediverse with me.

On the other hand instances are not blocked if they distribute vaguely
legal images. Now I do not wish to name such.

To block Gab.com is hypocritical, or those admins from new instances
never got the idea of what means free speech.

> > If Mastodon apps can start blocking some instance for nonsense
> > reasons, then it can also happen that instance centralizes and block
>
> You might be instead demanding explanation from the instance
> administrators instead. If they give you vague or inaccurate
> descriptions, consider switching to other instance.

That is why I have own instances. I do not depend on those who will
block free speech.

Jean