Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre

From: Gregory Chamberlain
Subject: Re: What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?
Date: Sat, 21 Nov 2020 13:31:03 +0000

Hi Don,

Don Saklad <dsaklad@gnu.org> writes:

> What email can folks try that's in harmony with principles of
> Libre software and like gmail isn't stored locally?

I'm assuming you're talking about email service providers rather than
email clients.

You could self-host email of course but many people don't have the
skills or time to bother with all that.

I have been using Migadu[0] since reading this article by Drew
Devault[1] reviewing various mail service providers.  Unlike Gmail it is
not free of charge, but their pricing is very fair I think.

You *do* need to have registered your own domain name however in order
to use Migadu.  Really it's best to have your mail address be @ your own
domain regardless of which provider you choose as, crucially, it allows
you to switch providers while keeping the same email address, preventing
you from being locked in to one company.

(I have no affiliation with Migadu other than being a customer of
theirs.)

Regards,

Greg.

[0]: https://migadu.com