Re: Linux distro chooser

From: Greg Farough
Subject: Re: Linux distro chooser
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 10:31:02 -0400

On Mon, Oct 25 2021, Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
<libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> wrote:

> On 25/10/2021 05:03, Jean Louis wrote:
>> * Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss
>> <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org> [2021-10-24 20:28]:
>>> Hi All
>>>
>>> I just found this on Mastodon, a really useful tool to help people find a
>>> good linux distribution based on their needs.
>>>
>>> https://distrochooser.de/
>> I don't agree it is even relevant for Libreplanet Discuss mailing
>> list
>> due to reason that it offers proprietary software.

It's definitely relevant and worth sharing, if only as inspiration for
creating a similar tool.

>> Quote:
>> ,----
>> | The (license) ideology of a distribution is a contentious
>> | debate. There are distributions using mostly "free-licenses", others
>> | also use "non-free" software.
>> |
>> | - [ ] I want to use free licenses as much as I can
>> |
>> | - [ ] I'm fine with non-free licenses as long as my system works

But yes, due to the language there and some other problems we couldn't
promote this site or use it in our campaign materials as-is.

> Hi
>
> I do see the point being made here, however wasn't the idea behind
> freedom ladder to perhaps take people on a journey that will end with
> them using free software.  So to begin with people will perhaps need
> to use non-free to get something working, but the eventual aim is to
> eliminate the need for non-free anything.
>
> With freedom ladder, if you start off with Windows and MS office then
> a first step could be to start to use say Libreoffice so when you do
> switch to Linux then you are familiar with the tools available,
> perhaps switch to nextcloud for storage etc.
>
> We need to encourage people on that transitional journey, but take in
> to account their usage needs.  Rather than stopping them right at the
> start by making that journey more of an abrupt change.
>

> Could the fsf not perhaps adapt the tool to work alongside freedom
> ladder?

I think that's a good idea, as the current FSDG distro page doesn't do
the best job of steering people toward a distro appropriate for them.
We could adapt a site like this for our own purposes, one which gives
the FSDG distros priority and wraps a similar questionnaire around
them.

Having distros that provide nonfree software on it would be okay *if*
the distro chooser offers them a clear progression. For example:

"You seem to be a user looking for an easy-to-run desktop OS. We
recommend Trisquel. If you're unable to use Trisquel for whatever
reason, we recommend using Ubuntu until you're ready to move to
Trisquel."

That way, it will never just say "run Ubuntu." That's not at all
ideal. In situations where it would recommend Ubuntu, it's only as a
stepping stone to Trisquel. We would need to be careful about the
phrasing and presentation, but I think something like that could work.

-g

--
Greg Farough // Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation