re: Linux distro chooser

From: Arthur Torrey
Subject: re: Linux distro chooser
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2021 23:49:04 -0400 (EDT)

I was rather underwhelmed - nice idea but the end was a HUGE list of distros,
with very little info that would separate them.  For instance, I said yes to
user is visually impaired, and that got the same list w/ the addition of
"Software for visually impaired people are installable (e. g. 'Orca')" to each
entry except for Knoppix, which has extra stuff for this built in, and might be
a best choice, but it was in the MIDDLE of the list...

I gave feedback that they need to reduce the number of suggestions and make it
a ranked list not just the list of most distros in the same order w/ +/-'s for
each, as that really doesn't tell me much...

I also would point out that I AVOID the "all free" distros because I pick up my
hardware used / salvaged and it is FAR more important to me that it WORKS than
that I avoid binary blobs and other non-free stuff of that sort (I do try to
minimize it, but I do what it takes to make my hardware work....)

IMHO given that a user starting on the Freedom Ladder probably has hardware
that was purchased for a non-free OS, pointing them at an all-free distro is
setting them up for a bad experience...  OTOH a distro like Debian that starts
by installing only free (albeit w/ blobs in the kernel) software, but gives an
error and points out the non-free drivers needed to make a functional system if
needed is FAR more helpful, especially to those that aren't into the esoteric
challenges of finding hardware that runs on free software (something not listed
on most boxes...)

ART