Re: Not "open source" hardware, "free design" hardware

From: Jacob Hrbek
Subject: Re: Not "open source" hardware, "free design" hardware
Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2022 05:10:59 +0000

Does it include schematics of chips as well as schematics of boards? -- RMS

Usually depending on the chip e.g. Power Management Units (PMUs) are usually
very simple circuits that don't have any firmware and they work by taking power
and then converting it in power rails to power other components.

It's still important to have schematics for those as knowing how these work
will avoid major failure (i've seen a cases where those caused a fire, because
the developer didn't know how they work)

What word can we use instead of "designs" to make it clear it includes these?
-- RMS

I use the term eCAD files, but it's not accurate as it doesn't include the
firmware.. Maybe fabricating files? as in files used for fabrication of the
device?

How hard is it to make a layout, given a schematic? -- RMS

If you have a schematics that is past the prototyping phase then I would
compare it to a simple math you just have to do a lot of it.

Schematic that is pre-prototyping would be
comparable to doing equasions on a middle school to me.