Re: Not "open source" hardware, "free design" hardware

From: Ineiev
Subject: Re: Not "open source" hardware, "free design" hardware
Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2022 02:01:33 +0000

On Tue, Feb 01, 2022 at 07:14:51AM +0000, Jacob Hrbek wrote:

> For context my experience with both EU and US is that "hardware designs"
> is used for schematics only, but i am aware of the term used in china to
> have this presented meaning.

In the largest US-based electronics project I took part in,
the "Hardware design specification" had a section named "Layout
and mechanical design" that described PCB outline, mounting
elements, connector locations, layer stack-up, and more.

"Schematics" is an intuitive term, using "hardware design" for it
would be a poor choice of terminology, like saying that "operating
system" means just its kernel.