Re: thank you elon musk

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: thank you elon musk
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2022 10:09:12 +0300

* Paul Sutton via libreplanet-discuss <libreplanet-discuss@libreplanet.org>
[2022-04-27 09:38]:

> On 26/04/2022 20:38, Adrienne G. Thompson wrote:
> >     Hi Thomas:
> >
> >       If the FSF is not now going very hard on promoting Mastadon,
> >       they should never be trusted to anything right again.
> >
> >     Why take such a negative approach? Why not, instead, propose a campaign
> >     to promote Mastodon? We are here to support the Free Software Movement
> >     - a movement that relies on contributions beyond code.
> >     Adrienne G. Thompson
> >     Principal and Chief Code Artist, GNU C-Graph

Promoting Mastodon means promoting to users to install their own
instances and decentralize social network. Decentralized social
networks like Mastodon, Pleroma, Pixelfeed, PeerTube, Friendica,
Lemmy, WriteFreely, Funkwhale, Mobilizon, BookWyrm -- are all part of
it.

Join the Fediverse
https://joinfediverse.wiki/Main_Page

Don't promote single software, promote decentralized social networks.

> I agree here,  Mastodon does need content,

Then maybe you do not understand the difference between software and
the instance. Mastodon is just software, by itself it has no
"content". Interaction with users is what creates content. There are
many Mastodon instances of software installed, and it does not make
sense to say "Mastodon" needs content, not for me who knows that there
are so many people already participating every day.

> it has that to a point as I subscribe to feeds from Sciencedaily for
> example, but few people interact.  As far as I am aware people not
> exactly have long conversations on twitter either.

It may not be the same experience as on Twitter -- but still is far
far from saying that there is nothing on Mastodon. I have found
friends through decentralized networks, and one can interact for hours
and hours, discuss those issues not important at all like cuddling
with cats, or politics, or important other issues.

> As a platform, or set of platforms they can't move forward unless
> people say what they want, and help promote.

It is automatic. I see many instances running.

> I tend to avoid mastodon,  as there are more people on there who seem to be
> anti vaccination, anti science and racist, so it doesn't help me,

Again, "to avoid Mastodon" would mean you are avoiding specific
software installed on all instances. Does that mean you prefer
Friendica or Pleroma?

But that is not what you are talking about, you are talking about your
personal account on specific instance, which is unrelated to Mastodon
as software even if it runs such software. You are talking about your
choice of friends with whom you interact.

Mastodon as software has nothing related to people's opinions on
vaccination, science or racism.

You have got it wrong. Either you don't understand what is single
instance or you don't express yourself correctly.

Additionally, when you interact with people, they may be writing you
from quite different instance of software such as Pleroma, and you may
not know it.

> Free software is just as much about the community of developers,  users,
> creators etc as it is about the fsf,  who,among other things are trying to
> also enforce our licenses when they are infringed,  something individual
> users can't do easily.

Actually not, FSF may give advise on enforcement, but they may enforce
only those infringements that are related to FSF, where FSF have
copyrights, and not where other authors have copyrights.

Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/