Re: Using Lighning instead of LLVM in Faust

From: Paul Cercueil
Subject: Re: Using Lighning instead of LLVM in Faust
Date: Sat, 29 Feb 2020 11:17:07 -0300

Le sam., févr. 29, 2020 at 14:05, Stéphane Letz <address@hidden> a écrit :
Thanks.

Reading the documentation I understand that Lightning is quite lower level (compared to MIR https://github.com/vnmakarov for instance) since the API directly deals with registers yes? So the API user has to so his own « register allocation/handling machinery »? There is no notion on an infinite set of variables that can be defined and used ?

One thing I will add - MIR and Lightning have different scopes; MIR is a JIT engine tailored for programming languages, while Lightning can be best described as a code generator. MIR would be unsuitable for some tasks Lightning is good for, e.g. writing dynamic recompilers. On the other hand, MIR provides much more support for implementing programming languages.

What would be interesting is a Lightning backend for MIR; then MIR would take care of IR optimization and register allocation, and it would run on the wide range of archs supported by Lightning.

- Paul

Stéphane