Re: Nostalgia

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: Nostalgia
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:06:42 +0100

address@hidden writes:
> > It's amazing how much we have achieved in two and a half years!
> >
> > http://web.archive.org/web/19991003222858/http://www.lilypond.org/
> >
> > innit sweet?
>
> Yes, 'Tis. :-)
>
> It's all too easy sometimes to get a bit disenchanted when I see how
> much work is still to be done, and how little it takes to confuse
> LilyPond some times.  And, how slowly and unsteadily our loosely knit
> team of developers has grown, in six years.

Yes it's nice to look back and see that useful things have
happened. However, we shouldn't look back too much, but rather
forward.  I think that it is already time to get back to stabilizing
1.5 for a 1.6 release.

What is still left on my list of things list before we can get 1.6 ?

 - small spacing issues (I've got some things that I still want to
   improve)

 - finish figured bass

 - fix and integrate drum notation

 - fix some symbols (notably, yesterday I saw that the slash notehead
   still has sharp corners. And my G clef, of course)

 - revise script storage: scripts (articulations, fingering, etc.)
   should be stored together with the notes they apply to.

   We should write Scheme functions to glue separate articulations
   back onto the notes.  This would make horizontal fingerings less
   messy to implement.

   Btw, this is a new idea of mine.... it is still a little unbaked.

   I was wondering: are there many people that enter articulation and
   notes separately?

 - fix bugs. ... It's   been rather quiet on this front. Sometimes I
   get the impression that 1.5 is BugFree (tm)

 - get ancient notation back up again.

 - Do the smallish Firenze fixes.

 - Maybe fix Jazz chords (there's been a lot of complaints, but
   basically no code to do this. Perhaps not.)

 - More things?  I have about 160 undealt messages from the past year
   in my lilypond-user mailbox. Maybe someone could cull the useful
   suggestions from lilypond-user into some sort of TODO list (perhaps
   on the wiki.)

 - Extensive regression testing, i.e. test if all features are still
   working.

 - Try to get mutopia up to date again: many scores are quite old, and
   the quality would probably be better with 1.6.