improved accidental algorithm

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: improved accidental algorithm
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:25:36 +0200

address@hidden writes:

> I think I've found an algorithm for the placement of accidentals in
> piano music.  I checked many editions (mainly Breitkopf and Henle); of
> course, there were some accidentals set differently (yielding more
> compact results horizontally), but I didn't find serious deficiencies.
>
> It works fine for up to 5 notes in a chord; this covers about 99% of
> the chords in piano music, I think.  Non-repetitive chords with 6 or 7
> notes will work well also in most cases (repetitive examples are <cis
> dis fis cis' dis fis> or <cis dis eis b!' cis dis>).

I didn't check your examples (I'm supposed to be at work :-), but it
all seems well researched. The nice part is that the code for skylines
is already there. The bad part is that my code will have to go. An
afternoon wasted. Well anyways. I'm looking forward to seeing a patch.
I'll check if I have Wanske, otherwise Jan will reply.