Re: Big letters in note names.

From: Heikki Johannes Junes
Subject: Re: Big letters in note names.
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2002 16:52:39 +0300 (EET DST)

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> address@hidden writes:
> >   c              "pieni c"           "small c"
> >   c,     C       "suuri c"           "big c"
> >   c,,    C,      "kontra c"
>
> actually, we used too have this convention a long time ago. Nobody
> used it, especially after we introduced \relative, which is why we
> scrapped it.

Yes, \relative is a nice environment, but often one forgets to add correct
number of commas and apostrophes, which later on has to be corrected.

In order to test whether or not it is more intuitive to write music by
using Big Letters in note names, I tried just to change "suomi.ly" by
adding an entry there (it did not work):

\pitchnames #`(
        (c . ,(make-pitch -1 0 0 ))
        (C . ,(make-pitch -1 -7 0 )) % a Big Letter note
)

      Heikki Junes