Re: PHP environment variables: out (among the others)

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: PHP environment variables: out (among the others)
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 14:07:37 +0200

Heikki Johannes Junes writes:

> This is not so trivial, it have happened to me many times that I could not
> compile LilyPond because, there was already done
>
>     export out=/dev/vc
>
> by php

> The problem annoyed also me more than half a year until the reason was
> found out.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I don't think that this is Lily's fault.
You must be annoyed, but you're complaining to the wrong list.  I
really think you should take this up with the mandrake php maintainer.

As I understand it, the default php installation on mandrake sets
*and exports* stray variables in the environment, such as 'out'.

The fact that this breaks other stuff is expected behaviour, I think.

'out' is not the only variable that we are using.  configure scripts
and Makefiles use scores of variables.  As an example, try setting and
exporting any of the variables host, parsedir, objdir, out_file,
version, to strange values and compile GCC.

Jan.