Re: LilyPond 2.3.0 released

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.3.0 released
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 22:29:08 +0200

Mats Bengtsson writes:

> Why reinvent the wheel? There are already several sets of
> Type1 font files for the EC fonts available at CTAN. In particular,
> I recommend the cm-super fonts, <CTAN>/fonts/ps-type1/cm-super/.

Tonight, I looked at lmodern (that's what apt-cache says when looking
for cm-super) and tried to hook in into LilyPond, replacing the ec*
fonts.

The lmodern fonts, in their current offering seem to be broken beyond
usage, for LilyPond

  * the AFMs contain an invalid global keyword: Generated

I implemented a workaround in Lily's AFM parser for this.

  * there are no TFMs that match the actual font filename and font
    encoding, eg, for lmr10.pfa only `cork-lmr10.tfm' is shipped.

I don't think we can or want to kludge this kind of mapping into
LilyPond.

  * the AFMs claim to have FontEncoding FontSpecific, instead of
    listing the actual encoding that can be mapped to a PostScript
    encoding vector definition (.enc file).

I also don't think we can or want to kludge around this.

I filed three bug reports and reverted to using the ec* fonts again.
Quite possibly there is something that I missed?

There is one interesting thing that I found out, the lm.map file has a
very suggestive reencoding field, look:

$ head -4 /etc/texmf/dvips/lm.map
cork-lmb10 LMRomanDemi10-Regular "enccorklm ReEncodeFont" <cork-lm.enc
<lmb10.pfb
cork-lmbo10 LMRomanDemi10-Italic "enccorklm ReEncodeFont" <cork-lm.enc
<lmbo10.pfb
cork-lmbx10 LMRoman10-Bold "enccorklm ReEncodeFont" <cork-lm.enc <lmbx10.pfb
cork-lmbx12 LMRoman12-Bold "enccorklm ReEncodeFont" <cork-lm.enc <lmbx12.pfb

Jan.