Re: join LilyPond development!

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: join LilyPond development!
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 20:24:07 +0200

On Friday 16 April 2004 00.15, Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> > I think I could work in one of these tasks:
> >> BUILD-MEISTER
> >> BUG-MEISTER
> >> NEWSLETTER EDITOR
> >
> > But I prefer to wait the more experienced guys choose, then I get the
> > left-over (if any).
>
> Can I ask you, Pedro, to take responsibility for builds, and you,
> Erik, to be in charge of the bugs? Of course, you could help each
> other with the other tasks.

Sounds fine!

Now there's the question on how to organise the bug collection.

I have now organised a directory on my computer, with different cathegories of
bugs (such as unimportant bugs, release-critical bugs, bugs which are
demonstrated only with non-free music, and known major bugs that will not be
fixed in the close future).

The collection should be accessible by I am not sure how this collection
should be made accessible to those who will fix them.

I have roughly 4 different ideas:
1. I keep the collection locally on my computer & pester developers manually
by email.
2. Same as (1), but now and then I upload the directory to somewhere at
ftp.lilypond.org
3. The directory of (1) becomes a part of the CVS tree.
4. Use a huge bug managing system such as bugzilla, or wiki.

I would guess that (2) or (3) would be most sensible. (3) has the anvantage
that it's more automatised, open and clean ('make bugs'?), plus it would be
easy for others than me to maintain bugreports. A disadvantage could be that
cvs might not be good when frequently adding/removing files (i have memories
that files can stay locally after being removed from cvs).

Do you developers / webmasters have any opinions?

Erik