Documentation (was: Help! \mark, and lesson in Scheme)

From: Anthony W. Youngman
Subject: Documentation (was: Help! \mark, and lesson in Scheme)
Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2005 22:50:05 +0000

In message <address@hidden>, Erlend Aasland <address@hidden> writes
Hello Anthony

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005 00:10:36 +0000, Anthony W. Youngman
<address@hidden> wrote:
(And I want to create a "format-mark-barnumber" markFormatter too.)
I agree with this. Many big band / wind band pieces I've seen use
this. Can we please throw in this patch providing the functions
format-mark-barnumber and format-mark-box-barnumber?

Thanks for the patch - that's saved me some work. It's now in my version...

We'll need to update the docu, as well. Section 5.15.3.

Firstly, can we please change "(The letter 'I' is skipped in accordance with engraving traditions.)" to say "orchestral", not "engraving". Unless anybody else has a better idea. But "engraving" makes it sound like a global thing, and seeing as I can't find an example of it in my sort of music it can't be that global. Better yet, just replace the sentence completely with the following para:

"The default formatter is format-mark-letters, which skips the letter "I" in accordance with orchestral engraving tradition. format-mark-alphabet uses all the letters in accordance with band engraving tradition."

Note that this will require somebody to take my code, check it, and create a proper patch to add it :-) or help me to do it, which I'm quite happy to do but need help with!

By the way, a bit further down the docu claims that the default is format-mark-numbers. This does not appear to be true, both from the example at the start, and from my experience. This para should presumably be modified (once all these functions are added) to read:

"The file 'scm/translation-functions.scm' contains the definitions of format-mark-letters (the default), format-mark-alphabet, format-mark-number and format-mark-barnumber, along with their -box- equivalents (format-mark-box-letters etc). These can be used as inspiration for other formatting functions."

Not that anyone is suggesting that these functions won't be added, but I think we do need them in the standard install. Without them, you can't cater for some fifty percent of band music, which will lose you all the military bands. Certainly in the UK, bandsmen play two instruments (from different families - which often includes strings), and that could easily lose you a load of orchestras, too.

Regards,
 Erlend Aasland

Cheers,
Wol