Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography...

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: lilypond ./ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography...
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 17:37:45 +0200

Heikki Junes wrote:
Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Heikki Johannes Junes wrote:

Modified files:
. : ChangeLog Documentation/bibliography: index.html.in html-long.bst stepmake/bin : text2html.py buildscripts : mutopia-index.py
Log message:
    optimize width for 800x600, width=760px (continued).

Hello,

can you fix/revert this?

Actually, it was a fix. As an introduction, I wanted to find a reference which would describe the subject:

  http://webdesign.about.com/od/webdesign/a/aa080904.htm

A brief extract:

"If the scan length of a line of text is longer than 10-12 words or shorter than 4-5 words, it can be very difficult to read. This means that readers with large or small browser windows will have trouble."

All of a sudden the lily docs in Firefox start to look like attached. My screen is 1280x1024, and I want things to look OK on my 1600x1200 mac as well.

Let us assume that our users know what they are doing, and respect their settings for browser resolution.

Likewise for lilypond.org .  Can you explain your changes?

Let me continue from the point mentioned in the above extract. Take,
for example, page:

What is the direction in which you would like to fix/revert? Currently, the logical structure of the web pages have been described, but the readability of the pages is not quaranteed.

I assume that users are capable of resizing their browser windows appropriately, and I always find it offensive when site designers pretend to know better what I find more easily readable. For example, if I run 1600x1200, I use larger fonts. Your 800px width hack doesn't detect this.