Hello!

From: P B
Subject: Hello!
Date: Sun, 09 Oct 2005 12:41:42 -0500

To all:

Hope this isn't inappropriate. I found Lilypond a few weeks ago and have been trying to familiarize myself with it; I have a MM in Performance, have done quite a bit of composing, arranging, and orchestration, so I thought it would be interesting, now that I'm beginning courses in computer programming, to see the guts of music engraving. I would like to learn more about how to develop things for Lilypond, including a GUI interface, but I'm still pretty green on the programming side. Is there a comprehensive documentation anywhere explaining the makeup of the source code?

I've seen several references to GUI front-ends for Lilypond; could someone please re-post those URLs so I can check them out? It might be much easier to enter music accurately; I note that much of the time, polyphonic music (piano-vocal) is very difficult to code via plaintext without numerous errors.

Also, I just saw that one of the original developers is NOT really a fan of C++; if you were to try again today, what language would you use and why? I'm mostly familiar with C++ and Java (yeah, big diff there, I know), but I'm wondering about using the VS.NET IDE to do something like this.

Finally, I'd like to say, thanks for creating this! It's nice at the very least to have some open-source version of music engraving software to fight off the Finale urge.

Paul