Re: Lilypond on MEPIS

From: Marc Weber
Subject: Re: Lilypond on MEPIS
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 11:28:35 +0100

On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 11:16:25PM +1000, Eddie Z wrote:
> I have recently moved to Linux usiing MEPIS KDE Debian whatever.
> Every time I find software that looks like it might be fun to
> investigate or even learn how to use I get to the installation and then
> have no idea how to move on from there.
> Now I come across LILYPOND 2.6.4 and find the same problems. Everything
> I read says how easy LINUX is to use. Well I must be brain dead because
> I am studying, "The Complete Idiot's Guide, Moving to Linux and Linux
> for Dummies", and yes it all takes me so far and then?????????
Linux is easy to use is relative. Most of the time they mean you know
what the system does or you can find that out because there is lots of
documentation..

So your problems is you don't know how to install liypond?
First of all every linux distribution (you've mentioned Debian) comes
with an application which is able to install/ deinstall software for
you as long as you're not using lfs (linux from scratch ;) On debian
this software is called apt-get/aptitute (don't use debian by myself).
If you're lucky you can just use a .rpm package and install this with
apt. If you don't know how to do this you'll have to find the debian
documentation (info aptitute or man aptitute are common ways to find
some documentatino). You can also go to any irc channel and ask people
wether the software is supported and how to install it..

In case of lilypond you have to go to the download page :
http://lilypond.org/web/install/
where you can find out that you have to use the any x86 distribution for a
2.6 lilypond version or you can use packages of lilypond 2.4 for debian
(scroll down).

If you still have problems reply again. I'm not sure wether this is the
answer of your question.

Marc