Re: LilyPond 2.7.18 released

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: LilyPond 2.7.18 released
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:05:30 +0100

On Monday 21 November 2005 15.32, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Hi,
>
> .18 is out.  It features nestable system start delimiters, like bracket,
> brace. It also adds "square" line bracket.
>
> The nesting may be set with
>
>    \set StaffGroup.systemStartDelimiterHierarchy = #'((a (b)) c)
>
> which specifies a depth of 3 brackets for the 2nd staff, and a depth of
> 2 for the first staff.
>
> This feature was sponsored by Trevor Baca.

It seems to me that all brackets on a given nesting depth must be the same
kind of bracket. I.e., the following bracket configuration can't be done by a
single StaffGroup:

\new StaffGroup <<
  \new InnerStaffGroup <<
    \new Staff c'1
    \new Staff c'1

  \new Staff c'1
  \new PianoStaff <<
    \new Staff c'1
    \new Staff c'1

I don't know how common this kind of notation is, but wouldn't it be more
generic to ditch the systemStartDelimiters property and give the delimiters
explicitly in the hierarchy? I.e., for the example in NEWS, something like
this:
  \set StaffGroup.systemStartDelimiterHierarchy = #'(SystemStartSquare
(SystemStartBracket a (SystemStartSquare b)) c)

(I don't have a particular need for this myself, I just want to bring up the
issue before backward compatibility becomes a problem)

--
Erik