Ambiguous documentation

From: Anthony Youngman
Subject: Ambiguous documentation
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:32:56 +0100

Section 6.4.4 Partial measures

While it's clear from the start of the section what is meant, the
wording "indicating how much of the measure has passed at this point" is
very misleading. The example gives "\partial 4" as meaning a crotchet
upbeat (which it does). But the text would make me think that we were
one crotchet into the bar, and we had three crotchets left before the
barline (I did in fact make that very mistake some while back).

I'd be inclined to reword it - "indicating how much of the measure is
left" or "is still to go". Unfortunately I can't think how to word it
completely clearly (a perfect example is times in German and English -
"half nine" in the two languages is an hour apart - the implied
preposition is "to" in German and "past" in English - which probably
explains what's happened here).

Cheers,
Wol

* ************************************************************************ *

This transmission is intended for the named recipient only. It may contain
private and confidential information. If this has come to you in error you must
not act on anything disclosed in it, nor must you copy it, modify it,
disseminate it in any way, or show it to anyone. Please e-mail the sender to
inform us of the transmission error or telephone ECA International immediately
and delete the e-mail from your information system.

Telephone numbers for ECA International offices are: Sydney +61 (0)2 8272 5300,
Hong Kong + 852 2121 2388, London +44 (0)20 7351 5000 and New York +1 212 582
2333.