Information on translations status (was: Adding a warning to the German

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Information on translations status (was: Adding a warning to the German Doc translation)
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 11:14:53 +0100

Hi Till, hi translators,
Le samedi 09 février 2008 à 12:52 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :
> could you revise this patch and apply it to lilypond/translation if you
> approve it. I added a short warning to the top of the index.html.in that
> states about the incompleteness of the translation.

Applied to master and lilypond/translation.

>  There have been some
> irritations on the German lilypond forum, so I thought this is important.

Some users may expect that translations are always up-to-date, but
because of GDP there are so much more ressources for the documentation
in English than for translations, translated docs will remain (at least
partially) outdated until GDP is finished.

I already warned about this on the French list, so we didn't get
complaints there.  Docs translations are still relevant to current
LilyPond even if they are not synced with English docs (I took care
convert-lying them too), so users shouldn't be "irritated".  Maybe we
could give them more information on translations status, with a page for
each language, describing translation authors and status per chapter,
generated automatically by a script that would guess status by looking
at tags in .itelys and running 'make check-translation'.

Tags could be

@c Translators: François Dupont, Jean Martin
@c TranslationCheckers: Nicolas Dupond
@c TranslationStatus: post-GDP

Statuses could be

- not translated
- pre-GDP: fully translated but has not been updated since GDP started
- pre-GDP and partially translated
- up-to-date: has post-GDP tag and is up-to-date
- almost up-to-date: has post-GDP tag, but "make check-translation"
outputs a diff

This would require only little work from translators, i.e. adding
post-GDP tags, and adding tags for their names in new translations.

How does this sound to you?

If you agree, I may start working on the technical side soon, but IMO
let's not include this page in the docs until we have updated at least
the tutorial and one NR section, otherwise it would not be good for our
translators' moral :-)

Cheers,
John