Re: Using texi2html for the documentation

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Using texi2html for the documentation
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2008 13:50:03 +0100

Greetings everyone,

sorry for the leak; I've made Reinhold's plans public on the "LilyPond
Report" last issue; however I'm confident that not enough people read
it to start a polemic right now :)

2008/3/16, Reinhold Kainhofer <address@hidden>:

>  How about using two lines with left/center/right-aligned  links? Something
>  like:

I like it!

> That's why I said that my attempts (some are based on Valentin's CSS) are crap
>  and asked for a complete screen design to implement....

So did I say two months ago when I first started playing with the CSS.
It's merely a draft, and it's sole purpose was actually to show Graham
we could do things :)

> Which brings me again to the point that the mail page could really use some
>  design overhaul to make it more appealing and look well-designed...

Yes, however, please let us not loose LilyPond's identity!
I remember having almost had a heart attack when I saw Jonas'
suggestions six months ago:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2007-09/msg00210.html

In other words, KISS :)

>  Anyway, I like sans, you like serif, so the obvious solution is to simply
>  remove the font-family altogether and use the browser defaults... I've
>  already changed this in the CSS. Better?

John: I do like sans too (obviously, since I was the one who coded it
in the first place). Sans fonts have been very fashionable for the
last decade; but feel free to bet on next decade's fashion changes :)

2008/3/17, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:

>  At the moment, I have no real opinion on all the CSS stuff,
>  except to agree with you that it's somewhat subjective.  However, I'm
>  sure we have a few CSS geeks on the -user, not to mention Valentin...

What do these three full stops mean? :)

>  so I would suggest that Reinhold focus on the more fundamental issues
>  (like the list stuff; thanks for asking on texi2html-bug, Reinhold!)
>  and fiddle with CSS later.

Definitely.

I'm just glad to see that these opportunities are offered now; I think
a community needs to be motivated by visible (superficial) spectacular
initiatives, more than *really* important (but invisible to them)
program code etc. In other words, IMO you have to make it sexy to
motivate people.

Cheers,
Valentin