Re: much slower "make web" processing

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: much slower "make web" processing
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 23:02:30 -0300

2008/3/25, Graham Percival <address@hidden>:
> OSX, GUB 2.11.43, current git, from a "make distclean; make web;
>  make web"
>
>  Building the docs now takes a *lot* longer.  lilypond-book takes
>  about 30 seconds to look at each .itely file when that file has no
>  changes.  Previously, the "REading foo.itely... dissecting...
>  Writing snippets..." messages for /all/ the docs flashed by my
>  screen in about 5 seconds.  (assuming that there were no changes)
>
>  Python is using about 5% of my CPU, and my disk activity is about
>  1.5 MB/s, so I'm puzzled as to why it takes so long.  This isn't
>  an urgent thing -- I can leave it processing in the background for
>  five hours; it doesn't use up much system resources -- but it's
>  definitely a step backwards.

Sigh. Long live MacOS X.  MacOS directory handling is severely broken
for large directories (It came to a screeching halt I tried store my
inbox with 6000-mails in a single maildir on a mac mini).

The new build uses a shared directory for all languages, so you don't
build each file separately for each language. That directory has some
8500 files.

I guess I have to use some deeper subdirectory levels to make it
usable on MacOS.