Re: GDP: new Text documentation

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: GDP: new Text documentation
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 04:34:36 -0700

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:14:03 +0200
Mats Bengtsson <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm not fully convinced that I agree, especially if we talk about the
> on-line version of
> the manual, since you now will have to figure out which of all the
> different HTML
> pages you should look at.

That's why I said that we're keeping the "all markup commands" --
people who like the entire list can see that, while people who
only want to see "alignment issues" can see that list.

> Of course, my complaints boil down to my
> old favourite
> complaint that the information shouldn't be split into too many HTML
> pages and I
> know that it's on Graham's TODO list and that he doesn't want this
> issue raised again.

Actually, this is already done in the texi2html version of the
docs for Pitches and Editorial.  Once a few more technical issues
are resolved, we'll switch the main docs to this format.
(at least on the GDP server)

> Anyway, if you do this kind of split, it's very important to find
> descriptive and accurate
> names for each subsection. Obviously, only one of "Global markup
> commands" and
> "Common markup commands" should remain in the final version and I
> would try to
> find something more to the point than "Common".

I think that "common" is supposed to be "formatting text".  It
certainly shouldn't keep the current name.  "Global" should definitely
be "all markup commands".

Valentin and Neil are supposed to be working out these categories
between them.  Once they have a general plan and ideally have
examples for everything, we'll post it to -user and get feedback
about the particular category divisions and names.