Re: Frog mailing list discussion

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2009 07:45:43 -0700

On 1/5/09 7:06 AM, "Andrew Wilson" <address@hidden> wrote:

> Hi Carl
>

> Since I'm mailing you anyway, I'll include this.  I was planning to use cygwin
> do the lilypond development.  I've installed git, worked through a basic
> tutorial
> and grabbed a copy of the sources from the main repository.  So far, so good.
>
> Now I've run into a problem,  I don't seem to be able to do a build and I'm
> not
> sure how I can do bug fixes without that.  Do you know if anyone has managed
> to get the sources to build on cygwin? Is it a sensible development
> environment

I have two answers to your questions:

1) It is possible to do bug-fixing without the ability to build locally.
Much development work can be done by editing .scm and .ly files, which don't
require building.  But I can't say in advance whether a particular bug can
be fixed without the ability to build.

2) I know that it used to be possible to build on cygwin, because I did it.
But keeping that capability up was a bit of a pain.  I don't know if it's
currently buildable or not.  IIRC, Bertalan Fodor (author of LilyPondTool)
was the one who got LilyPond building on cygwin.  You might ask him for his
ideas.

Eventually, I got a Linux box that I used for building LilyPond.  The box
was old and cheap, and it worked just fine.

I'd recommend establishing a dual boot system with a Linux partition that
you use for building LilyPond.  It was lots easier for me.

Carl