Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: Contributor Guide "volunteers" needed
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2009 01:05:45 +0800

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:33:47AM -0600, Jonathan Kulp wrote:
> http://kainhofer.com/~lilypond/Documentation/devel/contrib-guide/Website-source-code.html#Website-source-code
>
> The first command here creates a dir "lilypod-web" instead of "lilypond-web"

Please fix -- you have git access, right?  I can't remember if
that got sorted out in the end.

> 2. 1.1.6: this command in section 1.1.6 didn't do anything when I ran it:
>
> git://git.sv.gnu.org/lilypond.git
>
> I tried it in a browser also but it didn't do anything there, either. Is
> this even a terminal command?

It's a shortcut for advanced git people.  Sorry, there should be
some warning there about this only being for hardcore developers.
IIRC the actual command-line would be
  git clone git://...
but I'm not certain it's worth including that here, since git
appears to have half a dozen different ways to get source code,
and every git person has his own favorite command.

> 3. 1.1.6: Third item on the same page didn't do anything for me:
>
> ssh://git.sv.gnu.org/srv/git/lilypond.git

Same idea here -- they're workarounds for more advanced git
people.  There should be some kind of a warning about this.

> 4. 1.4.1: The "gitk" command has a dependency--need to apt-get it to run
> the command.  Not a big deal but I thought I'd mention it.

Hmm, IIRC in OSX it comes bundled with git.  A warning about that
would also be nice.  :)

> NOT CHECKED: I didn't try the commands for creating patches and applying
> them yet since I don't have any patches to make at the moment.  The
> patches I sent to Carl already were done with the diff -u command
> instead of git.

Keep on doing that for another week or so, until the git people
have settled on the best patch-making command for us.