Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Why is it _still_ so freaking hard to get info with images?
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2009 09:48:41 +0100

2009/3/9 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:
make prefix=/usr/local/lilypond install-info-WWW
make --no-builtin-rules -C Documentation/user install-info
make[1]: Entering directory `/lisa/lilypond/Documentation/user'
export LILYPOND_DATADIR=
export
PYTHONPATH=/lisa/lilypond/python/out:../../python/auxiliar:/lisa/lilypond/python/out:./python/auxiliar:
/usr/bin/python /lisa/lilypond/stepmake/bin/install.py -c -d
/usr/local/lilypond/share/info

Please add or update the LilyPond direntries, do

   install-info --info-dir=/usr/local/lilypond/share/info out/lilypond.info

For images in the INFO docs to work, do

   make out=www install-info

and read the extra instructions.

/usr/bin/python /lisa/lilypond/stepmake/bin/install.py -c -d
/usr/local/lilypond/share/info ; make INSTALLATION_OUT_DIR=/usr/local/lilypond/share/info
depth=../.. INSTALLATION_OUT_FILES="./out/lilypond.info ./out/lilypond.info-1
./out/lilypond.info-2 ./out/lilypond.info-3 ./out/lilypond.info-4 ./out/lilypond.info-5
./out/lilypond-internals.info ./out/lilypond-internals.info-1
./out/lilypond-internals.info-2 ./out/lilypond-internals.info-3
./out/lilypond-internals.info-4 ./out/music-glossary.info ./out/lilypond-program.info
./out/lilypond-learning.info ./out/lilypond-learning.info-1
./out/lilypond-learning.info-2" -f
/lisa/lilypond/stepmake/stepmake/install-out.sub.make local-install

What command did you run exactly?  If it is
"make prefix=/usr/local/lilypond install-info-WWW",
this is all wrong: *WWW* targets must be called with out=www;
these targets are purposely undocumented and not listed in
"make help" because they are reserved for internal use or hacking.

And sure enough: the installed tree contains no info files with images.

What point is there in complaining that Linux distributions tend to omit
the images when there is no working Makefile target that would get them
there,

make web && make web-install

should compile Info docs with images, and install them is prefix is standard (/user or /usr/local); if prefix is non-standard, the commands to be issued are printed by the makefile. However, there has been a bug for at least two months that prevented the images to show in Info docs, and I agree with Jan that the printed instructions were not very clear.

and when the instructions that the Makefile gives out don't even
work?

What command did you run exactly?

"make web-install" is the recommended one by Application Usage, section Building documentation. I just added "make info-install", as suggested by Jan.

Please let me know if there are still issues to address after the changes I just committed.

Best,
John