Re: tab characters in the source code

From: Hans Aberg
Subject: Re: tab characters in the source code
Date: Thu, 9 Apr 2009 23:05:20 +0200

On 9 Apr 2009, at 06:04, Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:

Programming standards for LilyPond call for avoiding the tab character. We're free to choose whatever programming conventions we want for our source
code.

I don't think it is a standard, but I would not mind making it a standard.

Some years ago I suggested on some Bison that use two spaces instead of tabs. - The common Unix convention of 8 spaces per tab provides far to much indentation. I think perhaps it is used in GNU projects.

Han-Wen
(being trained to avoid tabs during daytime)

It is easier to use an editor that translates tabs into (say) 2 spaces. It is good to have a "translate tabs into spaces" feature run over files.

(The worst thing I have encountered was the convention of mixing four spaces indentations with tabs-equal to 8 spaces, plus a program that failed the whole project if one typed it wrong - at the University here in Stockholm!)

  Hans