Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: DOCS: include a sample "Makefile"?
Date: Sat, 16 May 2009 12:59:44 +0200 (CEST)

> Werner's point about multiple invocations of lilypond is very valid,
> but on a multi-processor machine my technique will use all
> processors.  It'll probably be a bit slower on a uni-processor,
> though.

This is getting error prone.  If you want to support multi-processor
engines, just write a simple rule like

  .pdf: .ly
        lilypond ...
        mv ...

and invoke `make' with `-j2' (or whatever numeric argument to -j is
appropriate to your processor).  Then `make' will take care of
everything.

> WITH the ampersand, all ten instances are fired off at once, taking
> maybe 15 seconds, and then the code moves on to the next line.

Uh, oh.  You are aware that big lilypond scores need a few hundred
MBytes to process?  If you start, say, 10 lilypond processes at the
same time, you'll get big troubles if you don't have enough main
memory due to constant swapping.

    Werner