Re: updating GPL to version 3?

From: Jan Nieuwenhuizen
Subject: Re: updating GPL to version 3?
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 2009 10:16:30 +0200

Op woensdag 01-07-2009 om 00:37 uur [tijdzone -0700], schreef Graham
Percival:

> Initial thoughts:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-devel/2008-05/msg00085.html
>
> nothing came of that (brief) discussion, though.

Hmm, I read a bit more in that thread.  It looks to me as if

 1 there is a basic consensus amongst the core developers
   that a move to GPL v3 (not sure about GPL v3 or later)
   is desirable

 2a Han-Wen even has done quite a bit of initial paperwork

 2b no-one has offered to do the work of tracking down and
    get permissions/paper work for the remaining authors

 2c Han-Wen is not easily inspired to do silly admin stuff
    esp. sot so when attempted to muscle him into it with
    "do what I tell you" disguised in invalid
    thou-must-bow-for-the-almighty-GNU arguments :-)

 3 there is a possibility of transferring copyright to
   the FSF [or another governing entity], which could
   have a simplifying/catalizing effect on 1 and/or 2

Jan.

AvatarĀ®: http://AvatarAcademy.nl    | http://lilypond.org