Re: updating GPL to version 3?

From: Mark Polesky
Subject: Re: updating GPL to version 3?
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 2009 01:25:07 -0700 (PDT)

Jan Nieuwenhuizen wrote:
> 1 there is a basic consensus amongst the core developers
>   that a move to GPL v3 (not sure about GPL v3 or later)
>   is desirable
>
> 2a Han-Wen even has done quite a bit of initial paperwork
>
> 2b no-one has offered to do the work of tracking down and
>     get permissions/paper work for the remaining authors
>
> 2c Han-Wen is not easily inspired to do silly admin stuff
>     esp. sot so when attempted to muscle him into it with
>     "do what I tell you" disguised in invalid
>     thou-must-bow-for-the-almighty-GNU arguments :-)
>
> 3 there is a possibility of transferring copyright to
>   the FSF [or another governing entity], which could
>   have a simplifying/catalizing effect on 1 and/or 2

I think guile is FSF-copyrighted, and they require all
contributors of patches longer than 10 lines to sign
copyright papers, which seems burdensome to me. I mean,
I was going to contribute patches to guile, but I was
turned off by having to mail my signature or something.

But if the program benefits from that, I guess I could deal. It
just seemed off-putting. Seemed like more of an obstacle to
development than a catalyst. However, I am somewhat naive regarding
a lot of this. Perhaps I could be persuaded if I knew more...

- Mark